About this traveller

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Follower of Jesus. Husband. Father. Son. Poet. Writer. Preacher. Story-teller. Learner. Pilgrim.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Restless

My wife and I slept so badly last night so today we are tired and grumpy. Not a brilliant way to start a blog - I know. Not very encouraging - I know. Not very interesting - I know!

But it got me thinking about what makes me tired. I am tired. But it's not just the lack of sleep. I'm tired of the status quo. I'm tired of going through the spiritual motions just so theat I can feel good about my faith, yet attaining little for the kingdom of God. I want something more! How about you?

I was playing guitar and screeching like a cat the other day and I began singing a Matt Redman song I know from about ten years ago. The words went:

We will give ourselves no rest
till your kingdom comes on earth;
you've positioned watchmen on the walls.
Now our prayers will flow like tears,
for you've shaed your heart with us;
God of heaven, on our knees we fall.


As I sang the song I began to feel restless for God's kingdom to come here on earth as in heaven. Can you feel that restlesness within you? You know there is so much more that God wants to do through his Church in his world. I'm convinced that God does not want us to settle for the status quo. There are thousands in our home towns that are lost without hope and without God. They need Christ's help. They need a Church that rises in the power of the Spirit with healing in her wings. They need to hear God's word preached passionately and with power. They need God's kingdom to be proclaimed as it was in the apostle's day.

God chose us to be his messengers of hope to a hurting world. We should be restless to see God bring that hope through us.

May our restlessness give way to prayer that cries out for God to move in power. And may we draw strength and courage from his word to hold onto the promise of the coming kingdom. May we be restless enough to go into all the world with Christ's hope.

Lord let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: